2010. I remember dreaming of that far off year while in high school. In fact, one of our English teachers had us write a letter to ourselves saying what we would be doing in 2010. Funny thing is, I'm sure none of us would have been able to predict all that has happened from then to now, and for those of us who believe in Jesus, He is the one who writes our letter of what our lives will be like.
We just recently got back from the URBANA '09 missions conference in St. Louis, MO, which was held in the Ram's Dome. It was an incredible experience, worshipping with 24,000 others who are interested in or committed to missions. Wow! We were sent off with practical ways to reach out to those who are our neighbors here and now instead of "waiting" until we begin missions.
As believers, we have a command that is for all who believe, not just those who feel specifically called. We are commanded by Jesus Christ, Himself to go to all nations and make disciples. For some, it's a matter of reaching out to those at work, school, or in the neighborhood. For others it may mean moving where God is leading, whether across town or state or to another country. For my husband and I, it is the later, moving to another country. However, in which ever way we feel God leading us, one thing is clear. We are not exempt from His commission at any point, whether we are in process of going "there" or staying where He has placed us. The body of Christ, His Bride, the Church, has the purpose of lifting up Jesus. SO many times we get caught up in our Christian world, in our own churches and ministries, (which are all good things), but if we are not intentional about reaching out and moving beyond those who know Jesus, we are missing the point.
I know for me, I have a few specific things I will be doing differently this year in order to better be in obedience to Jesus' mandate. If all things are His to begin with, including us as He made us, and then bought us by the blood of Jesus, then who are we to say whether we will go or stay? I'm looking for Him to lead in my life in greater ways than before.
What about you?
No comments:
Post a Comment