January. A new year, new activities, still new experiences here in North-East Ohio. And lots of snow. For those of you who have been watching the weather, you see that we're finally on the + side of the mercury up from a week ago (which was down to -27 for a new record low!).
Actually we have decided we rather enjoy the snow. I love looking out and seeing everything bright and fresh after a few inches. I remember it never seemed to snow that much growing up (in the south!), so snow still brings excitement for both José and I.
One of these snowy mornings, over a cup of hot orange spice tea, I was reflecting on the snow, the purity of it. How quiet it was outside. Peaceful. My thinking went to Isaiah, "I have washed your sins whiter than snow" . While you're staring out and you can't see anything but whiteness, and brightness, that's a powerful analogy! How the blood of Jesus Christ cleaned us and made us so pure, so clean, and most importantly, finally acceptable to God--the Sinless One. It made me excited about ministry, about what we'll be experiencing as a family, about life in a new place, and new friendships.
Beyond the clean-ness, I was struck by the peace. Just how everything was still. It was amazing. Yes, the occasional car passed in front of our house, but it couldn't seem to interrupt the all-covering peace that pervaded and surrounded us and our house. That's how I started my year. That's what I want for this year to be marked by. Peace. Surrender to the Uncreated God who loves us, loves me, more than we can imagine. Who created a beautiful snowy picture outside of my window for my enjoyment.
Yes, the snow has started to melt, and turn gray from the salt and dirt, but my life can still be full of peace. I've been learning a lot lately, in the midst of difficult circumstances, that who we are and what our futures hold comes from the Lord, not our circumstances which can change from moment to moment.
My goal is to have a few moments of stillness with my Creator each day, so that no matter how full my life is at the moment, it still can be permeated by peace.
3 comments:
What a beautiful reminder. It has been all around here too although sometimes i let myself become too busy to admire it. Thank you for reminding me :)
Thank you for your blog post. It was such an encouragement and an excellent reminder. Miss ya and love ya.
Dios te bendiga siempre,
*!~Jenny~!*
Mel, this was beautiful. Thank you for that description of peace and how it permeates. I know so well the serenity you talk of with the snow. My favorite is when you step outside at night time and how quiet and peaceful it is. There is a stillness in the air, and a calm that saturates. But more so it lights up the night, it makes the darkness less dark.
Post a Comment