Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Trust

As I alluded to in my last post, our lives are beginning to move towards huge life-changing things. What a relief it is for me that some of the waiting for unknown things is over.

We have made one decision, after much prayer and counsel from people who love us and pray for us. Now we wait. Again.

As we wait, we will move ahead bold and confident.

He calls us to trust Him so completely that we are unafraid to put ourselves in situations where we will be in trouble if He doesn't come through. (Crazy Love by Francis Chan, p. 124)

Funny that fear is often what hinders complete trust. And as I'm learning, it's a moment by moment thing.

Yes, He has shown us where He wants us to walk today. And He promises He will be with us. Still, I (as most of us do) struggle with acting in fear instead of trust. Not having a "plan B" in case God doesn't come through.

Then, as I was trying to figure out why I felt I needed a plan B to begin with (at least in this situation), I read this:

People who are obsessed with Jesus aren't consumed with their personal safety and comfort above all else. Obsessed people care more about God's kingdom coming to this earth than their own lives being shielded from pain or distress. (Chan, 133).

Wow. I know that I have a ways to grow in this. And while I won't be looking for pain or distress, I need to trust that God will do what is necessary in my life to make me more like Him, not necessarily to shield me from hard things.

Trusting. It's a hard thing. It's a matter of obedience. A matter of setting my face like flint.

But not trusting, that's certain failure, destruction, and disobedience.

I am so thankful for a God who gives us grace when we fail, and the strength to rise again as we learn to trust Him completely.





No comments: